Whispering Gallery is a 44-page A4 (similar to US ‘Letter’) size magazine published by the Dorothy Dunnett Society. It contains articles and letters about the works of Dorothy Dunnett, the periods and locations in which they are set, and news about the Society’s activities. Whispering Gallery is published four times a year.
Contents of Issue 142, sent to Dorothy Dunnett Society members in March 2019
- The Chairman’s Column
- Trustees’ Notice Board
- Members’ Page
- A Dunnett Lexicon
- Lymond’s Backstory
- Ivan the Terrible, Tsar of All the Russias, and his Army
- Wrapping Up Dunnett
- The Disorderly Knight?
- Honouring Dorothy Dunnett: the Tribute Book
- Photographs from International Dorothy Dunnett Day
- First Line, First Pages
- Wandering Heroes and Clashing Civilisations
- Talking Point
- That’s Relevant!
Whispering Gallery is the successor to a letterzine named Marzipan and Kisses which was founded in the USA in 1984 by Jean Clissold and Karen Brandl. From Issue 33, Dorothy Dunnett arranged for an international variant named Whispering Gallery to be created and published by the Dorothy Dunnett Foundation (DDF) for readers outside North America.
The DDF was wound up by Dorothy Dunnett in 2001 and its assets and rights assigned to the Dorothy Dunnett Society (then known as the Dorothy Dunnett Readers’ Association) which now publishes Whispering Gallery. In 2001, Marzipan and Kisses ceased publication and Whispering Gallery became available for readers in North America as well as the rest of the world.
Since Val Bierman’s time, the editor’s role has been undertaken by unpaid volunteers, the latest of whom is Suzanne McNeill whose first issue was Issue 108 in September 2010.
|Marzipan and Kisses|
|1984–2001||Jean Clissold with Karen Brandl|
|1984–1986 (Issues 33–40)||Edinburgh Book Festival Staff|
|2007–Jun 2010||Sandra Hall|
|Sep 2010–||Suzanne McNeill|
Submissions to Whispering Gallery
|Issue No||Copy deadline||Distribution|
|143 – Jun 2019||End Apr 2019||End Jun 2019|
|144 – Sep 2019||End Jul 2019||End Sep 2019|
|145 – Dec 2019||End Oct 2019||End Dec 2019|
- Please indicate that your contribution is for publication.
- The editor has the ﬁnal word on shortening any contribution, editing and deciding on the contents of Whispering Gallery.
- Longer articles may be split and used in more than one issue.
- Any contributions received by the editor after the deadline may be held over until the next issue.
- Full addresses will not be printed.
- Please send in photographs (you either have to own the copyright, or have permission to reproduce them), but the ﬁnal decision on using them lies with the editor.
- If you are taking photographs for publication on a digital camera, please ensure it is set to take high resolution images. This equates to a pixel setting of at least 2400 x 3000 pixels (or 7.2 megapixels) and a quality setting of ‘superﬁne’. (Different terms are used for quality settings: “Normal-Fine-Superﬁne”, or “Basic-Normal-Fine”, or “Good-Better-Best”. Select whichever is the possible quality to give a smooth rather than stepped image.)
- If your article includes quotations from the books, please supply the book title, part and chapter (for example: CM, Pt 3, Ch 13).
- Contributions are welcome whether or not you are able to send them by e-mail!
Note on Publication Rights: The Dorothy Dunnett Society is the publisher of Whispering Gallery and holds the copyright and publication rights for all Whispering Gallery issues, whether published by the Dorothy Dunnett Society or by its predecessor organisations, the Dorothy Dunnett Foundation and the Dorothy Dunnett Readers’ Association. It has also been given permission by Jean Clissold and Karen Brandl (Bound in Leather Press) to copy and distribute back issues of Marzipan and Kisses.