Alyson JK Bailes CMG
It is with deep sadness that we report the death in Scotland on 29th April 2016 of Dorothy Dunnett Society member Alyson JK Bailes CMG, author of Iceland: The Dorothy Dunnett Guide. She was a popular and extraordinarily talented woman and will be sorely missed by all her Dorothy Dunnett Society friends. Several British newspapers have published obituaries and you can read The Guardian’s here. Readers of The Lymond Chronicles will be moved to know that Alyson requested her ashes be scattered at St Mary’s Loch.
Why not treat yourself or the Dunnett reader in your life to one of these attractive fridge magnets? Available exclusively from our online shop, with a discount for members of the Dorothy Dunnett Society, they are sure to get everyone talking about your favourite books!
There will be an on-air/online book review of “The Game of Kings” on Crowzone Radio on 13th April at 9 pm UK time. Wherever you are, you can listen live or even take part by using Chatwing on their website at http://www.crowzone.co.uk/. If you’d like to join the team in the studio in Kington Langley, Wiltshire, drop them a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. We know at least one reader who’s already booked a place!
The 2016 Dunnett Weekend programme (final version with timings) is now available here. A copy has been sent by snail mail to all attendees. The organising team have put together yet another amazing programme of events! Highlights include:
- Guided tour of Edinburgh’s Botanical Gardens on Friday afternoon
- Welcome dinner at the Sheraton Hotel on Friday evening
- Saturday morning talk from Dr Deirdre Serjeantson, Senior Lecturer in Renaissance Literature at the University of Essex, entitled ‘The Private Labyrinth: the books that made Lymond’.
- Talk from Professor Scott Richardson, St John’s University in Minnesota, about his new book, ‘Dorothy Dunnett’s Lymond Chronicles: The Enigma of Francis Crawford’
- Mystery “revelry” devised by Kathy Lewis
- Dorothy Dunnett Society Annual General Meeting (members only)
- Gala dinner on Saturday evening
- Sunday excursion to Dunfermline Abbey and Palace
Booking for the 2016 Weekend closed on Monday 29th February.
German readers of Dorothy Dunnett are meeting this year on the weekend of the 6th/7th August, south of Frankfurt. There will be lots of talk about nearly everything on Saturday and probably a visit to the Landesmuseum in Darmstadt.
There is generally a group of about 8 women and new friends are welcome. If you are not averse to sleeping with others in the same rooms on air mattresses, there is space for you to stay over.
If you are interested, please contact Sylvie via our contact form.